Sunday, 1 June 2008

New beginnings

Welcome to my new blog. I find it surprisingly difficult to find the right words to start this blog post, a new beginning in more ways than you can imagine. The best way to go about it, I think, is just to start writing again. First off, a couple of rules:

1. Comments will be moderated by me and will therefore not be visible until I've given my approval.
2. No more stitched gifts for anyone, on any occasion, unless I really really can't help myself. Looking for fun projects to stitch as gifts is a great hobby of mine. It's only in the stitching and assembling itself that I collapse into a hopeless heap of nerves. It takes ages for me to get my butt to the post office to send handmade gifts on their way. Don't ask me why. It's one of those mysteries of my life that I don't care to delve into anymore. It's a fact. You will all have to live with it. 'Selfish Stitching in 2008' is the word here at Orts and Ends.
3. From now on, I am a 'Blogger Without Obligations'. If I disappear for a while, I won't come back with an apology for having been away. I will leave comments whenever I feel like it (or whenever I have an internet connection which, in the Styx where I live is always a matter of great good luck), I will post when I have something to share and not because I feel I have to.

If you haven't fled because of my sudden strictness, I would now like to explain why I chose the name 'Orts and Ends' for my new blog. I originally wanted something a bit more in line with the name of my previous blog. Something like Nutty Notions, Silly Swervings, that sort of thing. But Nutty Notions was already taken and Silly Swervings was not quite the thing I was looking for. While I was pondering this all-important question of how to name my blog, my eyes wandered around the room and landed on my Origami Orts Bag:

That's It! I thought. I may even have thought 'Eureka!'. Because this is what it says at the bottom:


As for the blog title, 'new beginnings', I wasn't just talking about this entirely new blog. I was also referring to an entirely new life, of course. But I wouldn't be me if I also didn't have an entirely new project on the go:

This is a design by Edith Hansen for Fremme. Fremme rules, just so you know. Really. Fremme designs come in kits, with linen (28 count, I think) and Danish Flower Threads. This combination of linen and cotton floss actually makes it possible for me to stitch in the car (when I'm being chauffeured around, that is, obviously) and to stitch in the evenings without my OTT light (which enables me to watch TV and stitch in a comfortable chair at the same time). Perfect. You may be surprised to find me stitching a piece with so much green with so much gusto ;o) Well, in this particular case I don't mind the greens. They're gorgeous and soothing.

And now I would like to acquaint you with something slightly more worrying, i.e. the emergence of two new hobbies in my life. The first one is due to my fingers suddenly and inexplicably turning green. I've always wanted to grow pumpkins. I don't know why. Upon hearing this, Harmien provided me with a batch of pumpkin seeds. I got some more at the garden centre, and here's how far they've come:

First thing in the morning and last thing at night, and sometimes dureing the day as well, you will find me whispering softly to a heap of dirt, and as you can see, it seems to be working. Wacky whisperings, I guess.

Second new hobby? Bags. I'm not talking about Louis Vuitton or Gucci. No. I'm talking about these sorts of babies:

This is my current project. It's going to look a lot more quilted and complicated than the one pictured above:

It may not look like much yet, but believe me, I'm hard at work in my head. The wheels are turning.

I hope you enjoyed spending some time with me again. Now it's time to spend some time with my son, who is starting to show signs of Mummy withdrawal symptoms. Oh. And I need coffee.

Until next time.

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weet niks te zeggen, zit gewoon met een dwaze grijns op mijn hoofd. Blij dat je er weer bent.

Oma said...

Hi Annemarie

Welcome back to blogging.

I love the bag you are making. Is it from a kit?

Katrina said...

Annemarie, I am so, so glad to see you back! I've been worrying about you. Love your new blog and some boundries are a good thing ;-).

Love your little bags and I can't wait to see your pumpkins.

I don't know if you got my note, but thank you so much for the lovely thread holder. I posted a picture on my blog.

Kathy A. said...

Woohoo!!! She is back. Welcome back to blogland girl. Love your new stitch and that positive attitude. Look forward to sharing with you again. Many hugs

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you blogging again Annemarie :) Your pumpkins are doing great!

Nancy said...

Enjoy your new blog - I did! Good luck with your stitching, bags and pumpkins!

Kitty Couture said...

Good to see you back, Annemarie.
I hope all is well with you.
Take good care! Hugs.

Sharon said...

So happy to see you back, love your new blog and the rules. Good for you. Love what you are working on too. xoxox

Margaret said...

So very happy to have you back Annemarie. Your new blog name is so 'YOU' and of course I thoroughly enjoyed your posting.

Love your stitching and your new hobby.

'Talk' to you soon.

hugs, Margaret
and a knuffel for Pelle

Anonymous said...

It is great to have you back. And 'Selfish stitching in 2008' sounds great to me. I am thinking about having that kind of a year in 2009 myself.

Susimac said...

Your bag is going to be lovely and pumpkins hmmm, I've never grown those so I'll look forward to seeing yours - you'll need pumpkin recipes for sure.

I'm so glad you are back.

Love and Hugs

Jenn said...

Welcome back An! I love your new blog name and design. The bag you finished is lovely. I can't wait to see the one you are working on as it progresses.

Good luck with the pumpkins. It looks like you are off to a good start with them.

Marjean said...

Welcome back to blogland!

Bronzemom said...

Welcome Back!

Clare said...

Nice to see you back - and with some wonderful stitching too.

Heidi said...

Good to see you are blogging again Annemarie. I too love pumpkins and have never grown them so I will watch yours with great anticipation. The new obsession with bags sounds perfectly normal to me. :) This one look like it will be really nice when finished.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Karoline said...

Welcome back Annemarie

Wendy said...

I'm late in getting my welcome in but I am thrilled to see that you are blogging again! Great new title and new space :-D

You have been so very missed!

mainely stitching said...

Orts and Ends is as perfect a blog name for you as was Wacky Wanderings. Love it. :)

It's balm to the eyes seeing a blog post here from you. And that latest Fremme is just simply yummy, speaking of balm for the eyes!

Take care!!!

staci said...

Hurrah!!! Welcome back Annemarie...it's so good to see what you've been up to, your projects are simply gorgeous of course!!!

Carol said...

Welcome back, dear one! Your rules are just fine with me ;-) Yes, many changes... but all for the good!!

Jennifer said...

Glad to see you back. I've missed you. I know all about "new beginnings" and I can see how having some boundries will help in that. Every morning that I wake up in the same house next to that same special person I am just amazed that I made it through another 24 hours!
Your "selfish Stitching for 2008" sounds like a great plan. Maybe someday I can finally bring myself to a "Me Place". Keep encouraging and inspiring me!

Chiloe said...

It's great you are back !!!!! I was wondering what had happened to you ;)

Paisley said...

Good to have you back, Annemarie!

Anna van Schurman said...

I'm glad to see you back. And welcome to the dark side of selfish stitching. ;)

msjan said...

Annemarie,

I am so happy you are back. I've missed you ,Pelle, and Jula. Looking forward to hearing all about everyone.

Jan

Anneke said...

I just tried your old blog, but found the link to your new one at Barbara's! I clicked on 'I agree' with the new rules before reading on. I'm so happy with you as a fellow stitcher, I'm exactly the same when it comes to stitch gifts for someone: it never seems to be finished or finish-finished or on time and so on, so I had to gave that up.

Love Fremme! I would hang that design in my living room! And love the bag you made (and sent on time) for Barbara!!
I'm curious about the green fingers, I think the green stitching caused that virus.

Wish you well on all the new aspects in your life.

Julie said...

AMEN!
4.) Its my blog and it'll be about anything I want! Whether that be pumpkin seeds, potty training and/or stitching!
Just thought you might like to add that one! :-)
I'm glad you're back. Looking forward to seeing what you're stitching.

Anonymous said...

Hip hip hooray and most happy day!
Annemarie is back and doing OK!
Missed you BIG time. Maria S.

Anonymous said...

Well, I haven't a clue as to what happened before or why you changed blogs, but it's good to see you blogging again! I hope you'll post progress pics of your pumpkins growing from time to time :)

Hazel said...

Hello :-) xx

Anonymous said...

Hi An!
Glad to have you back amongst us :)
Rules are always good!
You're pumpkins are growing gangbusters! Just think how lovely they will be this fall sitting on your doorstoop ;)
HUGS!

Edgar said...

Welcome back!!!! I really missed your postings - congratulations on the pumpkins they really look like they are doing well!! -and - You should blog when where and what you wish - I enjoy all of it!!!!

edgar

Tanya said...

Welcome back, dear heart. Love those projects and those pumpkins will be awesome, I'm sure. Now you're the pumpkin whisperer :)

Here's to your new start in everything,
Tanya

Von said...

Well let me just pile on to the big heap of welcomes you've received so far!! I heartily agree with Julie that your blog should be what you want; we're all eager to read anything you write!

Beatrice said...

Yippee your back.
I'm so happy to hear things are well with you. We have missed you.
I love the new attitude. It has to be about you and your son. Enjoy live to it's fullest.
Pumpkins are fun, good for you.

Pretty stitching as well. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Stephanie said...

An, I for one am glad to see you back blogging on any terms you care to set - so welcome back!

I'm VERY keen to see how the pumpkins turn out - if we didn't have only 2 square feet of garden, I would attempt pumpkins myself. And in fact about 12 million other things that we also don't currently have room for!

Here's to selfish stitching!

Hugs to you
Steph

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list of those who are glad to see you return to blogging! I've bookmarked your new blog and will happily read your posts--regular or random--whenever you care to make them.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are back. I love your texts.

Barbara said...

Also glad to see you back. Yours was one of the blogs I came across early on last summer when I first started reading blogs and I've missed it. Good luck with the pumpkins. I have some too at about the same stage I think and they are going in the ground tomorrow. Last year we had tiny pumpkins because I left the planting too late but this year we are aiming for big!

Sharon said...

Hi Annemarie, as always it is a pleasure to see anything you do! Welcome back!

Rachel V said...

Welcome back, Annemarie! You have inspired me. (Hugs)

Andrea said...

Oh, I am SO happy to see you blogging again, (followed a link from Rachel's blog)...I love your new rules and agree with all of them, YOU GO GIRL!

Hugs!
Andrea

Marie said...

I always find humor in your posts and on your blog...today: "coffee-slurper extraordinaire" did the trick!
Welcome back to blog land!

Michelle said...

Well, my dear, I don't believe I ever officially welcomed you back. In the way of not apologizing, by being a Blogger without Obligations, I will simply say - I am so glad that you are beginning anew in so many ways, and that you are sharing your stitching, your pumpkins and your words with us all. Welcome! And, if you feel the need to add a pumpkin patch to that RR of mine (I was planning one in there somewhere), feel free! Pumpkins galore!