Thursday, 6 November 2008

A verrrrrrrry loooooooooong stitchy post

A few days later than I had hoped, but here I am with a photographic report of my sippy stitchy birthday celebrations.

A wise man recently told me that the way you celebrate your birthday is a foreshadowing of what the entire year is going to be like. Well, if he's right - and I have no reason to doubt him, because it proved true in the last couple of years - then this year is going to be one happy year for me, filled with love, good health, fun and stitching.

Even though I told my guests that their presence was present enough for me, they all came bearing the most astonishing, thoughtful gifts. And here they are, in alphabetical order of the givers.

You all remember I had high hopes of winning the soul of my oldest friend, Annique? Well, look at what she brought with her and judge for yourself if she doesn't already have excellent taste:


She gave me a beautiful chart by Iris van den Heiligenberg, a lady whose work I have admired for years. With it, Annique gave me the gorgeous Gloriana silks the design calls for, and a small wooden hoop. I like to use these as frames as well.
Yes, yes, I hear you think, but what about the stitching? Did you do it? Or, more importantly, did she do it??? This is me teaching her:

And this is the picture she sent me two days later.

Ladies and gentlemen, a big round of applause please. I think we have a winner! Annique admitted she was sort of twiddling her thumbs the next evening when Santa was finished and she just sat there... doing nothing. Needle and thread beckoned, but she's still fighting the urge. Ah, we've all been there, haven't we? Thinking 'Surely I can't be enjoying this old ladies' hobby?' Annique, sweetheart, give up the fight now, because you will lose anyway :o) And thank you for being there. It really means a lot to me, and I hope you know that.

Next up: Barbara.
As if I didn't have enough reason to nominate the lovely Barbara with the The Blogger Who Makes You Green With Envy Because They Can Stitch, Design, Work, Keep House And Raise A Family Without Seemingly Losing Any Of Their Amiable Qualities Award a while back, it now turns out that she can work magic with wool felt as well. Look at this amazing needlebook she crafted for me!


I love the colours of the felt and I adore the antique lace on the inside. And look at the scissors' fob, including a froglet to ward off the frogs! Thank you, Barbara. As always, I'm amazed at your creativity and thoughtfulness.

Harmien really went out of her way to spoil me on all fronts:


This is a quilted coffee cup she found at an Etsy store, designed (I think) to carry my mobile phone, but really, too pretty to use. I just have it lying on the table beside me so I can touch it every now and then :o)

She also gifted me with some fabulous patchwork fabrics, so many that if I could bring myself to use the sewing machine, I could make an entire quilt! Also, she gave me a skein of Belle Soie silk called Old Crow, which I didn't think was very nice of her, but there you go (Old crow indeed. The woman's freaking five and a half months older than I am.)

And last but certainly not least, she knitted this dishcloth, with cotton Staci sent her only days before. I have a picture of the dishcloth in action (you know, as part of the promote Staci's dishcloths campaign) but I'm not sure Blogger would accept another picture in this post. Maybe next time.
Anyway, Harmien, you really outdid yourself here. You gave me all of my favourite things, and more, because you were there and you are always there for me. Thank you for everything.

Heidi was there too! I had wanted to meet her for the longest time because she has two of the most inspiring blogs you can find in stitchy Blogland, and she always seemed like such a sweet, special person to me. Well, I can now officially teel you that she is all that, and more. It was great fun to meet her husband as well. Heidi brought the most amazing gift: a project basket she made herself, with Blackbird Designs fabric. Look at the picture and weep, for it is beautiful:

Heidi also gave me some threads by Carrie's Creations, which I've used in the past and LOVE. Thank you, Heidi, it was a great pleasure to meet you, and I hope you will join our Sip 'n' Stitches more often!

Mady (who doesn't have a blog but who does have a beautiful gallery over at Cyberstitchers) was not at my birthday party in person, but she was there in spirit. And on Monday, this gift from her arrived:

I have not been able to take them off since. I LOVE Mady's handknitted socks. They're beautifully made and they're warm and comfy, and Mady has great taste in colour. Thank you, Mady, for thinking of me, and for being such a dear friend.

Last, because her name is last alphabetically, is Margaret's gift, which is so beautiful I can't get enough of it. It's here beside me on the table (next to Harmien's coffee cup), and I have to look at it up close every so often, because it is so neat and petite and heart-warming:

Stitched over-one in my favourite colours. And, as you can see, an addition for my sampler wall which I will cherish forever. Thank you Margaret! I can't wait until December 13th, when we have our next Sip 'n' Stitch over at her house.

I realize this is a ridiculously long post, but I wanted to show the world how generous and sweet our stitching community is. Of course, we all know that, but it doesn't hurt to emphasize it every now and then :o)
You must have been wondering about the outcome of my court case, which was due yesterday. Well, I got it on Tuesday, but rather than going into it right here and now, I've decided to go about it in a different way. I'm going to write a soap opera. Now I'm sure if I offered my storyline to any existing soap opera, the soap opera bosses would all be like 'Aww, honey, no. Even soap opera watchers aren't willing to suspend their disbeliefs THIS far.' So I will be offering my soap opera to you, in very small portions, at the end of every post, starting next time. It's going to be a wild rollercoaster ride, so be prepared...

23 comments:

Melissa said...

Annemarie, you lucky birthday girl! How wonderful are those gifts. And I look forward to the first installment of the soap opera! Once upon a time...

Anonymous said...

I am trying so very hard not to be totally jealous of your lovely gifts, but I'm afraid I am an abject failure. The drooling has commenced despite my efforts to take the high road. Aren't thoughtful friends with fabulous taste just the best?

staci said...

A very Happy be-lated Birthday! It looks like you had a wonderful time and were spoiled accordingly!!! You've received the most gorgeous gifts from a troup of wonderful and dear friends, enjoy :)

Sharon said...

Absolutely amazing gifts for an amazing lady! I love that chart that Annique gave you! Tell her she did a fantastic job on her Santa! Sounds like she may be a convert-it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday! Your gifts are all amazing and I think that you might just have enticed Annique over to the dark side with her cute Santa finish ;)

mainely stitching said...

When it comes to divorce (and custody) court, truth really is MUCH stranger than fiction!

What a heart-warming post you've written about your birthday Sip & Stitch! I'm so glad you enjoyed the day and that you let us join you. I hope your upcoming year is full of much of the same kind of goodness. And congratulations to Annique!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! and what lovely gifts and a great party......... I had to laugh at the "Old Crow", though.

Sally said...

You received some very beautiful gifts Annemarie:)

Heidi said...

Well Annemarie, I am sure that wise man must be right but you would have a great year anyway as you are a warm and caring person and that comes back to you. I was so honored to be part of that day's celebrations. Thanks for your sweet words about me which make me blush. :) You really had some wonderful gifts that will last for the year to come and be part of your stitching pleasure, you will have warm feet throughout the cold months, clean dishes (a must or we cannot come back to visit again...LOL!), a safe mobile phone (just remember not to put coffee in that sweet holder instead...LOL!) and some pretties to gaze at in those spare moments you are not stitching.

It was fun watching Annique get her first stitching lessons. Please tell her it is not an old lady's hobby...just look at us! Congratulations to her on her first bit of stitching which looks great and she finished quickly.

Thanks again for making us feel so welcome in your home. Tell Pelle hello for us and sorry if he is still taking cookies for the tractor. It was a good idea after all so he cannot help it. Maybe next time I see him, I will have to give him his own pack of cookies for it. :)

Hugs ~
Heidi

Cindy F. said...

Annemarie, I so enjoyed your birthday post! You had a wonderful bday party and your gifts are to be treasured:) I love your positive attitude and I believe your new year is going to be exceptionally good to you:) Thanks for sharing your day with us!

Nancy said...

Such beautiful gifts and such a variety! Enjoy each and every one!

Carol said...

Wow - that was some spectacular bday celebration! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

My grandmom would say 'you made out like a bandit'! Awesome friends and awesome gifts. So much talent. Enjoy!!

Karoline said...

Happy Birthday Annemarie, you got some lovely gifts

Paisley said...

Happy Birthday, Annemarie! Your gifts are all so lovely! Isn't it great to be spoiled by our friends!

Lennu said...

Dear Annemarie, you know, I've enjoyed a perfectly lazy day off today and to tell the truth, I've been sitting here on my favourite arm chair with my laptop and a stitching project for many hours. I've been enjoying reading blogs and commenting and the unread posts in my Google Reader are down to ZERO now :)

I saved your blog to the end, it's the last one and I did that on purpose. I think I've told you this before, LOL, but I so much enjoy reading your blog. I just love your writing, it's the best :)

Very happy belated birthday! Oh how wonderful it must have been to have stitching friends at your home, you received beautiful gifts! I'm so happy for you that you had such a special day.

I'm looking forward to your soap opera, even though I guess it's not going to be dancing on the roses all the time. (I'm not sure if this expression exists in English language, but I just translated it from Finnish :) )

Have a wonderful weekend and happy, happy stitching!

Margaret said...

Thank you so much for letting me be part of this special day Annemarie. It was sooooo much fun.

Good for Annique - finished already. I think she's hooked!!

stitcherw said...

What wonderful goodies you received, I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. Sounds like Annique is quite close to getting hooked, I'll keep my fingers crossed that she's a fellow stitcher soon. Your earlier finish of Fruitful Clusters was lovely.
Sue

Carol R said...

I got behind on my blog reading and missed your birthday - sorry! A belated Happy Birthday Annemarie!
You got some beautiful gifts - thanks for sharing with your lovely photos.

Petra said...

What a delightful treasure of gifts from some very special friends.
Take it from me, you are very very lucky!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I got way behind in blog reading... Happy Birthday really late!

Beautiful gifts; sounds like you had a lovely day :)

Anonymous said...

Cheer up, woman, if you can't take a joke, you really are an old crow... hee hee!!

Michelle said...

What absolutely wonderful gifts! How lucky you are to have been surrounded by some many wonderful women on your birthday!