Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Holy snot

I could have chosen another title. Something involving another sort of bodily fluid... hang on? Is that 'other sort of bodily fluid' actually a fluid? Well, let me tell you, in this case we're talking about fluids. But in order to keep things decent here, let me just say again, and in capital letters: HOLY SNOT.

We're home!!! But we're not better.

Turns out Pelle is suffering from more than 'just' an infection of his knee. His knee is nearly back to its elegant slimness, and it doesn't feel as hot anymore, but this afternoon, he became if not as ill as he was last week, then very nearly so. I called the hospital and they gave me some very interesting news. Apart from the tummy bug that has obviously been nagging him since last week, his blood tests show that he very likely suffers from Celiac Disease, which would explain all sorts of things about him, including the problems with his development. Please keep your fingers crossed for the poor little guy. If it turns out to be Celiac Disease all he has to do is follow a gluten-free diet for the rest of his life and he will probably feel a lot better soon! I'm not terribly well-informed on the subject, but I will keep you posted.

Now that I'm home I can show you some of the stitchy things I've been up to. First of all, Bea. Thank you all for telling me what you think about the colours. Now I know I will definitely use greens. Here's my progress so far (and the more perceptive among you will notice there's no green there yet):

Of course, me being me, I made a boo-boo in the left motif, but since I'd rather deep-fry my left pinky toe and eat it than frog anything, I found a way to keep it as it is without anyone ever noticing what I did and how I did it (and if you DO notice it: get a life!).

The next one I'm working on is Olde Shaker Tune by Homespun Elegance. I found this chart a couple of weeks ago at a REAL LIFE SHOP! Here! In The Netherlands! Amazing... Anyway, I found it and I had to start it, so I did:

The third project I started in the new year is something I'd been wanting to stitch since I first saw it stitched up by Su, years ago. Here's a pic:

Any idea what this is? Who the designer is and what the chart is called? If you do, leave a comment. The first one to guess correctly gets a hand-crafted giftie from moi. Harmien is excluded from this draw. She begged to know which project I had started, even at the risk of losing out on the stitched giftie. Now, she is either very interested in my stitchy endeavours, or she doesn't want any more of my stitching in her lovely house. Either way, Harmien, you're out!

I think I may go to bed now. I know, it's only seven in the evening, but since Pelle's been asleep since three this afternoon, I have a feeling I have a very interesting night ahead of me. Again, please send good thoughts for the little man. He really, really needs them! Thanks...

29 comments:

Coni said...

Oh you poor sweet baby! Here are some happy thoughts flying to you from Indiana, USA. Please get better soon, Pelle! (Stewey is sending along a little nuzzle, just for you!)

:: wee bird :: said...

nothing worse when a little one is sick.I'll send my wishes from Nova Scotia Canada ~~~~****
your stitching looks great :D

Anna van Schurman said...

I think I could eat my toe if it were deep fried. I'm sure you will be up to speed soon on Celaic, and Pelle will be up and at 'em before you know it.

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping you and your little man in my prayers. Just do alot of research on gluten-free; there's worlds of info on the internet. and I have no idea what your design is that we're supposed to guess about, LOL....but I sure like that color that you've stitched so far!

Melissa said...

Aww, poor sweetie pie. Well, at least you have a diagnosis and hopefully the diet will help him. I will definitely send lots of good thoughts his way, and yours too mommy!

Glad to see you stitching. Never mind the boo-boos. The Amish (apparently) always make sure they make a mistake in their quilts because 'only God is perfect'. There. That works for me!

Take care, Annemarie!

Nicole said...

Poor Pelle! I hope he feels better soon! There's nothing worse than when your baby is sick! Hopefully the new diet will put him on the right track!

All of your stitching is just beautiful Annemarie. I love the Quaker and the colors you have chose for it.

Denise said...

Please keep us informed on Pelle's
condition! He's such a cute little
guy, I sure hope he's feeling better soon!
Denise

Sharon said...

Glad to see Pelle back home! Definitely sending prayers for your little man and you too! Of course, I think frogging would probably be less painful than deep frying your pinky toe! That was too funny! Love the stitchy projects!

Anonymous said...

I send a pile of good thoughts for your little guy! here's hoping he's feeling 100% soon.

Mary Eman

Cindy F. said...

So sorry to hear your Pelle has been feeling so badly:( Sending hugs and prayers from Texas for him to get well soon!
Your stitchings are so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Poor Pelle! I'm glad that you seem to have found the cause though and hope that he's feeling better very soon {{{{hugs}}} to you both.

Love all of your stitching, the BP Quaker is looking gorgeous, but will look even more beautiful with a touch of green ;)

mainely stitching said...

Deep frying my toes might do something about their odor. Hmm. Nah, probably something I'd regret later.

So I'm going to say it looks like a Goode Huswife design, but at the moment I'm far too lazy to go find my stash of her patterns and try to pinpoint it. Sarah's Marking Sampler leaps to mind...

Love your HE project, and I am insisting that you take me to this real shop as soon as possible. A REAL cross stitch LNS? Seriously?

You guys take care. I sent you an email if you get the chance to check. Hugs to Pelle, and keep a few for yourself.

Karoline said...

Poor Pelle, I'm sure you will get up to speed quickly on Coeliac Disease. I hope he feels better soon.

All your wips are looking lovely.

Anonymous said...

At first, implementing a gluten-free diet seems a pain in the neck, but from what I hear from people with the disease (and I know a couple), it soons becomes a regular habit. And if thanks to the diet, things are restored to normal and even better, hurray ! I will keep my fingers crossed though, that this is only a nasty passing virus, and that Pelle (and you) will forget all this very quickly. I'll add some positive vibes for good measure.

Katrina said...

Poor guy, hope he's feeling much better soon! My DS's girlfriend has celiac disease. It's complicated to watch things but once you get use to it, it does get easier. Lots of good thoughts and prayers for both of you.

Love all the stitching bits and pieces, I don't have a clue what your new start is so I will have to wait until you tell everyone ;-).

Annemiek said...

Poor Pelle, I hope a gluten-free diet will improve his health soon. I'm sure you'll be up to speed on this pronto. I'm sending good thoughts his way.

The Quaker sampler looks lovely, I can't wait to see more of it.

As for the new start, could it be "Nobody loves me"?

Kathy A. said...

Poor Pelle! He looks all done in in his blankie on the sofa. I hope that he is feeling better soon. Knowing how much in love you are with that child I am sure you will figure out how to handle his Celiac disease!!!!

Von said...

Poor An and Pelle! I know a few people with celiac who are coping with the change in diet quite well and are feeling great! Glad you've been able to get some stitching in. :)

Beatrice said...

I PRAY all will be well for that sweet little guy real soon!
Give him a hug for me if you can get near him.
He looks just done in for sure, It is an interesting process to learn about this disease but, as you say it's do-able. You will learn.
Take care of yourself.
By the way that stitching is very pretty. I'm glad you managed to get some in!

Glenna said...

Poor you and poor little Pelle! There are more and more gluten-free diet foods available in the stores here as the condition becomes better known and more people appear to have it. And while it's certainly a challenge, it's not an insurmountable challenge. I know a nice gentleman, early-30s, has the loveliest family, and he has it and copes well, and is a fine-looking and strapping young man...

Hoping you find that coffee drip (is that what they mean by drip coffee? No?)

Margaret said...

Now you know I just can't resist a cross stitch puzzle. I think I have it!!! You have started stitching Moira Blackburn's 'Nobody loves me so I'm going down the garden to eat worms'. It is soooooo you Annemarie although of course there is no way that there is any truth in it since we all love you dearly.

I'm so sorry poor Pelle is ill again. The first think I did was look up Celiac disease and I'm glad to hear that it is very treatable.

A big hug for him from Leidschendam.

Take care.
hugs, Margaret

Michelle said...

Poor guy! I hope he is doing better soob and they figure out what is making him so sick. My thoughts are with you both. I love your new stitching - so pretty. And green is definitely a good choice!

Anonymous said...

Your poor baby! You've got all the good thoughts I can send you from Scio, Oregon. I don't know much about Celiac Disease, but my fingers are crossed for you both!

Anneke said...

What an unexpected story: Pelle so ill and in hospital. Celiac disease could explain some issues... though it's a new knowledge you have to grow into. A chronic disease is difficult for both child and mother. I hope he's feeling better by now and I hope you can get some sleep! Sleepdeprivation can lead to frogging in the end I guess...

Know idea about the design, I'm so bad in that kinds of puzzles. I almost only recognize PS I think...

Brigitte said...

Your stitching projects are all very nice, but I have no idea what the new one could be. Love your cersion of Beatrix Potter.

Poor little guy. I hope that the gluten-free diet will help him soon to feel better.

Anonymous said...

Poor boy! I hope he's up and running very soon! I'm surprised they didn't tell you about the Celiac *before* you left the hospital!! Great stitching starts :)

Anonymous said...

ik doe maar gelijk positieve gedachten voor een heel jaar! Ik was je langdurig kwijt en dacht nog al eens aan je mannetje. Hij ziet er leuk uit! wat een gedoe met de knie en het ziekenhuis en nu de coeliakie. Hoop dat het met een dieet inderdaad over gaat allemaal, alhoewel het idee van levenslang dieeten ook niet een leuk vooruitzicht is. Ik strooi nog maar wat mooie wensen uit, misschien helpt het.

Marcella
nuttigenfraai.web-log.nl

staci said...

Poor Pelle...food allergies can be so rough until you know for sure.

Love all of your stitching and I wish I knew what that one was...can Harmien guess for me???

Ruth said...

Oh, poor Pelle and you! I hope they can fix him up easily ... without you having to hop through hoops and hoops.

Your BAP is stunning! Absolutely stunning. Your special feature motif is destined to make yours perfect. :) Don't deep fry anything on my account.