Next update: Nobody Loves Me. Oh boy, how I love this sampler.
When I picked the colours I was a little worried about the colour combinations, but I have to say they look magnificent put together on the fabric (30 count Old Mill Java by R&R Reproductions). One teeeeeeny tiny downside of stitching this is that I need about three different sorts of needles to work on it. Now before you start wondering what on earth a person could possibly need three different sorts of needles for one project for, let me say that I am very particular about my needles. For one, I hate - let me stress that word - HATE - those bijoux, petite, teeeeeeny tiny needles that always seem to disappear into thin air (or in your mouth because they're so small you forget that that's where you parked the bugger in order to pick up another thread, or in the couch, or on the floor or, worst of all, in the tip of your stitching finger, which is not the place you want them to disappear into at all, because that tends to leave some nasty stains on your lovely fabric). So when my fabric count allows, I'll go for the big, whopper needles size 24, which have the added advantage of lending your stitches a luscious, juicy look rather than the thin, may I say emaciated look you get (or I get) when you use 28s. Now casting off* is quite difficult with a big needle, so I use a 26 for that. I've recently found a needle that made my old stitcher's heart skip a beat: it's a double-eyed needle. Two eyes at the end, ideal for blending threads and making your stitches look as if you railroaded them all the way.
So. Three needles for one project it is. But where to store them?
Right!
A needlebook.
I need a needlebook, with felt leaves marked with the size or the name of the needles they hold. If you care to take a look at the sidebar, you will see a needlebook I made for my MIL a month before I decided I no longer wanted her for a MIL. Bollocks. It was a nice looking needlebook.
As luck would have it, though, I have a needlebook. It only needs to be finished. And that's the teeeeeny tiny downside of this needlebook.
Until next time, dear friends!
*) Could someone please tell me what the English stitchy term for 'casting off' is?
28 comments:
Beatrix is looking so pretty! Don't you love it when a sampler won't let you put it down? I like your other sampler too, and I may have to hunt this one. Nice design for a needlebook!
Hmmm...that double eyed needle has me intrigued. Where'd you get it??? Who makes it?? I tend to use 24's most of the time...because the eye is easier to thread. I'm so lazy.
"Casting-off" in English (for me anyway) has a knitting conotation to it. That is the only time I use that term...unless it is in the "casting-off of clothing that no longer fits". I suppose it is similar to binding-off, finishing edge...something like that. Ah, you can see the lack of command of my own native language!
Casting off threads. By reading how you used the phrase in your sentence, in English it means to hide your thread on the backside or to end your thread. I love Beatrix, by the way, wasn't too sure about all the different colors, but it works!
I love the fact that you're doing the BP Quaker in linen threads. Can't wait to see the finished piece. And that Blueberry Lady needlebook? Of all of the beautiful pieces you've stitched and featured in your blogs, that one is my hands-down favorite. You should make another for yourself! (You can never have too many needlebooks, after all!)
I can't beliebe how close out colours are AnneMarie.that is freak-e!
Hm. Double eyed needles make it look like you've railroaded without actually railroading? Okay ... I have to get some and try it. I, by the way, LOVE those teensy weensy iddle widdle needles. The tinier the better.
Your stitching is gorgeous. It always is. And I can't wait to see your needlebook finished up. I put all my needles in a little needleholder that I got from Karin (Sparklie Things blog) and ... lost the darned holder!!!!!
No idea what the proper term is for hiding your threads on the backside. I didn't actually know there was a term!
Thank you so much for the full out belly laugh. For some reason, I can just see you having a session with your needles.
Hmm - double eyed needle - now that sounds cool. No wonder your stitching is always so beautiful. You are indeed fussy.
Nice work on Beatrix girl!
Well looky...Bea's getting all dressed up for a dance :)
Looking great An!
Upside down or right side up, Beatrix is looking lovely!! Adding green is a positively inspired idea!
Have to disagree with you on the petite needles. The smaller the needle, the better for me. I must say you do have me intrigued with that double-eyed needle, though. And using a size 24 needle plumps up the stitches? Hmm, may have to do some research on this.
As for "casting off," that's definitely a knitting term in my stitching universe, as in removing the stitches from the knitting needle while binding them off into a finished edge. Nope, in my admittedly tiny corner of the world, I'd would have said that I was "running my thread under," as in running it under stitches on the back side to secure the thread before cutting it. Made me curious, so I looked it up in my references and the only term I found was "fasten off," which frankly I've never heard used by any stitchers I know. Until someone tells me otherwise, I guess I'll keep running my threads under.
Hi An!
I'm doing a bit of a catch up and saw all the scary posts about Pelle! I feel so sorry for him but glad he is on the mend. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. The Celiac disease is more common than you think. One of the talk show ladies has it and she is pregnant with her third baby.
I'm glad you have your stitching to help you along. It looks grand too!
I love that fabby - so rich and gorgeous in color - matches wonderfully!!
Tanya
I love what you are doing with the Beatrix sampler. Very subtle.
I use 26s and 28s - but the latter tend to break very easily - fingers not delicate enough ?
I have to look for double-eyed needles...
Thanks for helping me improve my English vocabulary ! I persist in being impressed by your command of the language !
casting off: I don't even know what that means in Dutch...
I'm happy that you're back blogging again, but a teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeny tiny downside is I have a lot to read! In English! I'm very slow in reading English! But I'm happy you're back ;-)
and I'm very happy Pelle has recovered so much that he can go to school again!
The needlebook is going to look delightful when its finished.
Beatrix Potter seems to be coming along well.
Lovely stitching, I too think the colours on this piece are great.
3 needles sounds perfectly normal to me! I've got a set of about 8 which I use for various parts of my Japanese embroidery.
Have fun with the rest of the stitching.
I loved to read about the teeeeeny tiny downsides on all your projects, lol. They are all so gorgeous. Bp is looking great and so is the Nobody Loves Me sampler. Very beautiful.
Kust be careful not to swallow one of those tiny needles, just in case you happen to use them, lol.
Stupendous progress on your WIP's, An! And I love the blues in your needlebook-to-be. Instead of casting off, I would say ending the thread (by pulling it under several stitches on the back). Probably not a proper term, but it works for me.
Your BP looks gorgeous. I'm really enjoying stitching on mine.
Nobody Loves Me is looking good too. I don't think I've seen that one before.
Both of your WIPs are beautiful!! I love it when I can't stop stitching a sampler. I love (almost) everything I stitch but when I get crazed about stitching something--ah, sweet heaven.
I've heard the term 'parking my stitches', 'tying off my stitches', etc. Casting off would lead me to think of knitting. Good question!
Where in the world did you find a double eyed needle? Boy, could I use one of those in my current project!
I am really enjoying the blend of colors in your BP!
P.S. I hope Pelle will feel better soon!
Groetjes, Carolien
was wondering..are you using one thread or two with the sampler? I'm half tempted to start it over again.
sue
Hmmm, I have Beatrix Potter on my immediate list, this is if I ever get to do anything apart from work ever again............ I am looking forward to seeing how yours progresses.
Hope Pelle is feeling a lot better,he does look skinny in the last photo. He has a lovely smile!
The term you are looking for is "securing" your thread. You secure it round the back. Well, that is waht I use anyway! Your BP is gorgeous! The colours are fab! I love your needlebook and I think you should do a tutorial on this next one. We all do them differently don't we. xx
Don't you just love these addictions?
Your works are lovely.
You were mentioning the black fabric.
It is an evenweave which makes it..in my book.. a bit easier to use.
I'm not a fan of linen..but I do love the black! Use lots of good light and go for it. It's so pretty!
Groetjes uit Canada!
In knitting you're casting off, because you knit or purl it off the needle, using your yarn end to keep the fabric from unraveling. In stitching, I think it's called "weaving in" the end also to keep it from unraveling. In the south, we might say "jerk a knot in it," which applies to difficult people, too. I say you can call it anything you want!
Love your needlecase, An. Your Beatrix is perfect. I think it's fun to stitch, too. Finally got my real fabric from Silkweavers today, so can't wait to start in earnest! Hugs, Deb
Post a Comment