Tuesday, 29 December 2009

Chateau de Chatelaine

Warning: this is a looooooooong post. It’s about three posts rolled into one. With lots of stitchy pics though, so stick around :o)

I hope your Christmases were wonderful and warm (inside) and white (outside), though not too white, because, well...

…what does one do when one is snowed in and one’s computer crashes at the same time? Well, one weeps and tears out one’s hair and wrings one’s hands and when the weeping and tearing and wringing is done, one stitches. And what does one stitch? One stitches a strawberry. As one does, around Christmas time:

This is one of the strawberries designed by Niki Farrauto for Blackbird Designs’ beautiful Christmas book Joyeux Noel, stitched on 30 count R&R Iced Cappuccino that I coffee dyed and baked in the microwave because I was silly enough to stitch on the wrong side of the fabric. Luckily, I used DMC threads for the stitching, otherwise I would have been in the soup, with me coffee dying my fabric after the stitching was done. I didn’t stitch this strawberry because I felt particularly festive or Christmassy (what the hay? Feeling Christmassy? There’s no such thing, I’m sure), but because I needed a fob of some weight and length for the adornment of my self-made chatelaine.


You see, I’m always losing my needles and scissors around here, and I don’t mean between stitching sessions. No, I lose them during these sessions. Whilst stitching. My child and my cat take delight in getting into all sorts of impossible situations that I have to rescue them from (every two minutes or so), so I’m always flying hither and thither and when I settle my behind in my stitching chair for another round of two minute stitching, I will have lost every stitchy thing I need. It was obvious to me that I needed a chatelaine to put around my neck, so that I would at least always have my needle and my scissors handy and that there wouldn’t be any danger of one of the beasts gobbling up my needle while I’m busy rescuing the other. What to do, what to do? I thought. I knew The Drawn Thread has a magnificent design for a chatelaine, but I don’t have it and I don’t have time to order it, wait for it to arrive and then stitch it. By the time I would get to finish-finishing it, Pelle would be about 40 years old and I would have no use for it anymore.

What I do when I have to think about stitchy things is I go through my drawers filled with fabrics, threads and charts and it was in one of these drawers that I found the solution to my problem...

kumihimo

Now, I admit that this sounds rather like a fascinating and intricate way of killing oneself, but in actual fact, it’s a Japanese braiding technique. I went on the internet (when my computer was, as yet, un-crashed) and looked up some stuff about kumihimo. One thing I learned is that kumihimo is not cross stitch. There is hardly anything to be found on the WWW, but the information I did find I used, and you can see the results in the picture below. Once the braid was long enough (about four long evenings later), I had to think of a way to finish it. By this time, my computer was belting out steam in its quiet corner in the room, so I was pretty much on my own. Then I thought of the strawberries and thought they were the perfect solution to the fob problem.

I think the (Dutch) term Crea Bea has never been more aptly used :o)

Once I had shoveled a path through the snow and I could get myself and Pelle out of our cottage, what do you think I found in the mail? A very, very early (or slightly belated) birthday gift from Harmien!
Don’t you agree that, with these fabulous goodies made by the Queen of Neatness herself, my primitive-looking, sampler-themed stitching set is as good as complete? Harmien, you couldn’t have picked more perfect designs for my birthday gift. I love, love, love all of it. Harmien added a cute notebook and some needle magnets, and the gift came wrapped in that stocking you see in the second picture. I nearly fainted when I saw that stocking, because I was actually afraid Harmien had wrought that as well, but she admitted (as I would never have done) that the sock was not self-made, at least not by her. The Christmas ornie is lovely too, isn’t it?

And since this post is already so long I’m bound to have sent my readers straight to Snoresville anyway, I might as well finish with a progress picture of the Pistols:

And here’s my cute pixie in the snow:

Can you say Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!?
Wishing you a very sparkly New Year’s Eve!

Yours Crea Beatively,
Annemarie.

26 comments:

Nancy said...

I LOVE your strawberry! Beautiful gifts, and the stocking is unbelievable! Blue Lady is looking good, but the cutest of all is the Pixie in the snow!

Tanya said...

Pelle is sooooooooooo cute - love the pics of him with his sled.

Happy Near Year!
Tanya

staci said...

Well, at least all that snow provided the perfect backdrop for Pelle...what a cutie he is!

So sorry about the computer troubles, I know what a pain in the blankety-blank that can be! But love your Strawberry Emery you made, gorgeous!

And Harmien's gift is beyond compare...she is such a talented and generous friend and you are very deserving of such treasures :)

Von said...

I love your kumihimo chatelaine, An! I experimented with it awhile back, making a trim for a project, and enjoyed it immensely. Glad you were able to get it finished before your computer woes came to a head. It's always something, right? :( How good of Harmien to spoil you so thoroughly at a most opportune moment.

Lennu said...

What great stitchy photos! I love the strawberry, it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

First I must comment on the sweet Pixie...awwww...
And your darling, sparkling gifts from Harmien...LOVE THEM and especially love that stocking, even if it wasn't wrought from her hands...that's wonderful!
Pistols...WOW...coming right along!
Happy New Year sweet Annemarie, I think of you often and hope that you are well :)

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

What a great post! Your strawberry is fabulous and your gifts from Harmien are awesome! Love the pics of your darling son the best - what a cutie!

Happy, Happy New Year, Annemarie! I hope it brings lots of blessings to you!

Melissa said...

Yes! I did say 'Awwww!" He is so sweet. Those are lovely photos and I even like the one you have of his backside - it completes the story!

Love the strawberry and braid-thingy. Lovely gifts from the talented Harmien, and your blue lady is coming along!

What else do I have to say? Hmmm...Happy New Year!

Jennifer said...

Kumihimo ehh? I actually bought a "wheel" or whatever the insturment is called to make all these fabulous braids. It was at the annual Ohio Gourd Festival of all places. The display table was marvelous; filled with all the amazing braided creations. So I shelled out the $20+ for the "kit" and it's War and Peace-sized booklet of instructions. Way too much math for me. I vow to try it SOME DAY, if my results will be as lovely as yours. Great work!

Denise said...

What precious pictures of Pelle!
This will make a wonderful grouping
to be framed. You already thought
of that, didn't you??!!!
Happy New Year to you both....

Karoline said...

Love your chatelaine and great progress on 'Pistols'

Happy New Year to you both

Anneke said...

hello CREABEA; first of all an AAAAWWW for your little one. He looks great in white ;-)
Love your strawberry, it tells me your christmas was fruity. But I take my hat off for your ... (japanese). It looks like a cord I should make one day too.

Have a great Oud & Nieuw. Lets hope the NewYear will bring you more good stuff than this year did.

Marsha said...

That braiding is something else - wow! What a pretty Chatelaine. And that pixie is just adorable.

Anonymous said...

Chateau Wowser, da's een mooie aardbei!! En oh, wat een leuke foto's van Pelle!!!

Anonymous said...

The pixie is darling.....

Mary Eman

Andrea said...

Awwwww, sweet Pelle, what a doll!!
And your strawberry, omg, how adorable is that? I love it.
Girl, your posts always make me smile. I hope your new year in 2010is a wonderful one!
xoxo

Heidi said...

Wat leuke fotos van Pelle! Hij kijkt zo blij in de witte pracht. Ik geef hem groot gelijk. :-)

Blue Lady vordert goed. Wat een werk zeg. Maar dat wissel je af met mooie dingen zoals je aardbei. De braid is schitterend! Lijkt mij wel erg ingewikkeld.

Een fijne Nieuwjaar gewenst!

Hugs en groetjes ~
Heidi

Brigitte said...

I love your strawberry emery, such a perfect finishing. And perfect are also the gifts you received from Harmien. Enjoy everything.
Nice progress on your giant project. This lady in blue gets more and more attrractive.
I always love it when you share pictures of sweet Pelle.
I hope that you won't lose your scissors and needles any more. And that you never lose your stitching and posting mojo.
Have a great 2010!

Kathy A. said...

Hello my friend. Happy New Year to you and Pelle. I hope that the two of you have a HEALTHY 2010.
I love your little strawberry emery. It is lovely.
What a beautiful gift from Harmien. So wonderfully stitched.
Pelle looks so happy in the snow.

Giovanna said...

Lovely strawberry Annemarie! I wish you and your loved ones all the best possible for 2010.

Tanya said...

I love your strawberry! Your pixie sure is cute. Happy New Year to you too!

sea gull lights said...

What amazing projects, they look great!

bathroom lights said...

You are so talented!

Nadia said...

I hope you are well....
Kiss and hugs
Nadia

Deb said...

Hi, An. I'm so happy to know your stitchy year ended so well. Your "blue lady," is coming along fabulously...to tell you the truth, I never thought you'd get that far this past year! :O It's awesome. :] I love seeing Pelle, as always. Here's to a good year for both of you. With love, Deb

monique said...

LOL! Stitching sounds a bit hectic around your house... it's supposed to be relaxing you know ;) Your blue lady is coming right along! Happy (very belated) New Year to you!