About once every year – maybe twice, but no more – I get the urge to knit. I see something incredibly crafty and at the same time easy (or at least, that’s what the knitter of the crafty item claims) and I think to myself: I can do that. Even I can do that. Even I can do that. Even I can do that. I go into my bedroom with a self-assured grin, I open my closet and there it is, on the floor: my secret stash of knitting stuff. For someone who doesn’t knit, I have an embarrassing pile of stash. I pick out the yarn I think would be good for this easy project, I take the right sized needles, and there I go, with my trusted and well-thumbed copy of Knitting for Dummies under my arm. The object of my knitterly desire was something I saw on the evil Staci’s blog (evil because whenever I visit her, she always has something to lure me away from my many WIPs to start something she’s been doing. I don’t have one original thought in my head. Ever.): the Baktus scarf. Easy-peasy, that’s the word on the World Wide Web. This scarf is so darned easy, you could knit it in your sleep.Needles, yarn, book, coffee… I cast on 4 stitches, as the pattern dictates. Hmm. This is surprisingly difficult. My needle splices the yarn and so I end up with way too many stitches, and I haven’t even made it to round three. Ah well. I’m only just beginning. And this is a test scarf anyway (otherwise, why would I be using a colour that doesn’t go with ONE item of the clothes presently in my closet?). As I’m knitting along, I notice my left hand is starting to form a claw. I’m also clenching my butt and plowing my elbows into my armrests as if I’m on a plane getting ready for take-off. And the knitting isn’t getting any prettier.
Luckily, it only took me 30 minutes to decide that it’s not going to work. I’m not a knitter. And still it bothers me. I just don’t get it: why is it I can work with teeny tiny needles and actually find that incredibly relaxing, when the mere sight of a size 2,5 DPN (which isn’t a very large needle, now, is it?) has me reaching for the smelling salts? Why do I find it so embarrassing that I can’t knit? Why do I keep trying? Isn’t stitching exciting enough? Is that it? Huh? Huh???
As I said, it only took me half an hour to start and finish. Hooray!! My first start and finish of 2010.
Before:
After:
And now on to some serious stitching. Inspired by something I saw on Staci’s blog. Pictures on Thursday. Don’t forget the Goode Huswife giveaway! If you would like a chance to win the Wife Into Thy Garden chart, you still have time to leave a comment on my previous post :o)
Yours very contentedly stitchingly,
Annemarie.
26 comments:
Your post made me crack up! You are the same way I was when I first started knitting. And my results looked the same. Do you have somewhere that you can take a basic knitting class? That will help immensely. I'm pretty much self taught in everything, but knitting was something I did need help with!! Don't give you - you can do it. Also, there are some great tutorials on You Tube. Try that. You can do it along with the video.
Oh well. But wasn't the butt clenching good exercise though?
I'm sitting here chuckling away to myself at this ;) I agree with Deb - don't give up, try a knitting class and see if it will help. Oh, and 30 minutes isn't really that long either to decide you can't do it. Maybe have another go (if at first you don't succeed, etc. etc.) If it's any consolation, although I can knit, I can't crochet to save my life. I really need someone to teach me in person - maybe one day!
Thank you for the funny post! The "clenching butt" part made me giggle out loud. Too funny...
ROFL. Or you can insert insanely wicked cackling if you desire ;) Don't give up. Don't! Find some knitting classes. Or fly over here and I'll teach you. And Deb's right, there are great knitting tutorials out there, google them or YouTube them. At least you got a good workout in today, lol!!!
Ha~~~~ I felt like you are taling about me!!!! My kintting result is exactly like yours!!!! So funny~~~
Yep...glad to know I am among good company. Knitting doesn't seem to be my thing either!
I did lol @ your post, Annemarie!
I also really identify with the thought that I haven't one original thought in my head, EVER! Sometimes I just can't believe that I was ever in Big-Deal Art School (and did legitimately belong there no less!) For now, I'm content to follow all of you fine stitchers around, shamelessly copying and me-tooing your works! :P I tell myself I'm "just learning the ropes"--how long do you suppose it will take! :D
Staci's Baktus scarf also called me to my needles and smallish yarn stash, but I told it to shut up as I've just got to learn how to sew up the "stuffing hole" on this exchange pillow and send it off...and then there's the "Valentine to myself" I've started stitching in willful abandonment of more worthy WiPs. I think I'll learn from your example and ignore it more firmly when it comes calling again. I can crochet, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I can knit.
Oh, you are too funny and I can totally understand. I can knit a scarf if it's straight knit and purl. Anything fancy and my brain locks up - not good with reading patterns.
But you gave it a good try and ended up with a very entertaining blog post! ;-)
BTW, Chinese New Year will be Feb 14.
ROFLMAO - that is just too funny. Are you sure that qualifies as a finish!!!!!!
Now, you have exceeded your goals for the year right!
I don't knit either nor do I plan to. I tend to sit down until the feeling goes away when I get those ideas. Maybe you should try that.
Hugs
R
O
F
L
O
L
I dunno, I've always been a little suspicious of a craft where you can take the needle out and pull one tiny string to unravel the whole thing in seconds...
I fell off my chair laughing, Annemarie! I swear. you got it just right - I can also work with little, teeny, tiny needles but those knitting needles.... forget IT!
Loved your first start and finish - looks about like mine would look like! On to bigger and better things, dear heart!
Hys-ter-i-cal!! And I can so identify!! At the tender age of 10, my sister taught me to knit, and I proudly entered my first project--a pair of pink slippers--into a local fair, only to receive a last place. WHAT!?!? These slippers were PERFECT!! Or, at least, I thought so . . . until 15 years later, when a friend taught me to knit again and I learned that my left-handed sister had taught right-handed me to knit completely "backwards." [sigh] And THAT, my good stitching friend, is why I'll be sticking to my cross stitch. (That, and I have a few projects left to finish . . .)
I've been knitting, too! I haven't gotten any good butt clenches in yet, but I occasionally feel like my hand is turning into a claw. Good to know I'm not alone.
Hi
What a hoot, your blog had me LOL and back to my knitting!! It is so easy and grows faster than xstitch and you can watch TV at the same time as you knit. Give it another go. I had a phonecall last evening from my daughter who said,'Come and teach me to knit, I am dieting and need to keep my hands away from the mountain of biccies that santa brought' So saturday I am off to show her again something I taught her when she was 6 almost 40 years ago!
Happy stitching what even form ot takes, your pictures of finishes are gorgeous
Chris x
Too funny! Look forward to seeing the new stitching!
All I would say is don't give up!!!! It realy is easy when you get the hang of it and I am no great knitter. Can I help in any way? What bit were you struggling with? I do four rows at a time so I know where I'm up to. Email me if you need help. I have a bunch of Youtube links lol. x
Honestly, Annemarie, you should write a book! Whenever I feel down, I just need to go read your blog and I'm smiling within seconds.
If ever you want a knitting lesson, you're welcome to come and have one here!
Dear dear friend, I'm so happy to see you!!!!!!! Great!!!!!
I wrote you several mails, but I didn't know if you are received...
I hope you stitch with me in the monday ( memento mori), and with us ( BBD group) very soon...
I have a news for you, I've just purchase CHS Rejoice, isn't fantastic??
Hugs and kisses
Nadia
:D I can relate to this, I can only do straight up and down plain and purl and I keep seeing beautiful scarves everywhere! No fair!
OMG Annemarie. I almost spit my drink on my computer. You can do it! You can! You know they have a ton of videos on youtube.com. You probably just need some more visual assistance! Anyway, I feel the same way about quilting. I have such a love for quilting. I buy books, magazines and fabric. But I get so scared when it comes time to doing an actual quilt. I started a little table topper, but my needle kept breaking so I put it away. It will probably never see the light of day again! :)
LOL!!! Oh this is so funny!
I am the same. I can crochet and cross stitch very well, but put knitting needles in my hands....forget it! I've decided that I just don't have the motor skills for knitting so I just admire everybody else's projects!
And the sad thing is that I have knitting needles in every size! :P
I had to come visit your blog to see why Staci is still happy to be alive, and I'm LOL! I also visit her and think "wow, I wish I knitted" and then I remember how many other things I have (in progress and in my head) and common sense kicks in.
And congrats on your first "finish" of 2010! ;)
I'm a new knitter and saw this also and thought it looked easy. I had to go to youtube.com and watch and watch and watch. Even so I had to start over so many times I had to cut away yarn. I am now on row 17 and feel I just might be able to finish this project in time for Christmas.
I love your post. I am trying to kint the Baktus scarf too. I have pulled it out at least six times. This time I got going. I know I have mistakes, but I'm going to finish, mistakes and all. I love your cross stitch finishes.
That is me! You've been watching through my window - same scarf, same blog, secret stash! I think I have about 5 inches done, this time. How many times? Oh...at least 5. At least you learn after 30 minutes - I've been doing it periodically for days... Guess I can go ahead and put it away since I know the result! I'm bookmarking your blog - you have beautiful stitching AND you make me laugh!! Thanks!
Post a Comment