Tuesday, 30 September 2008

A Word of Advice...

...from Rational Me. Super Rational Me: don't get married, don't have kids, never say yes when you should say no. And don't agree to do Neighbourhood Round Robins. Which is, basically, an example of saying yes when you should have said no.Oh, you do understand, I hope, that when I said that one should never have kids I didn't mean any slight on my darling Pelle, but I just can't stand what he has to go through right now.

Onwards to stitchy pics:
My 'Do Not F*** With Me' replacement sampler (the original DNFWM has come to a sticky - if not pointy - end in that it got frogged. That ugly sampler is no more). This is a freebie (!!!!!!!!!!) from Atelier Imaginaire. I intend to work on it whenever I'm in need of therapy or meditation and the therapists and meditators are all asleep and, of course, when time and neighbourhoods allow.


I've finished part 2 (I thought it was part 4, but I checked the site and it turns out one band is one part. Drat it.). Having said that, this is such a wonderful sampler to work on. It's far from easy, even though there aren't any specialty stitches or anything. It's just that I decided to stitch this on floppy fabric with rather stiff linen threads from DMC, which makes for a lovely-looking sampler, but also for a rather novel experience in the contrasting feel of materials. I suppose the sampler isn't called 'Alter Echo' for nothing (and how appropriate for me, eh, considering the contents of my previous post?)

And I have a finish to celebrate! The Fremme birdy pincushion! I haven't finished-finished it yet, but shown on the picture are the materials which I will be using to make this into a very spiffy little pincushion. I will send the birds your way, Monique, in the course of this week!


I haven't finished Michelle's neighbourhood yet, but I did mail it to Kathy anyway, and I was in such a hurry to do so that I completely forgot to take a picture. I believe Kathy is the last person to work on this one apart from Michelle, so maybe you could send it back to me when you're done, oh Sweet and Patient One? And just so you know: Katrina's RR is in the Q-snaps as we speak.

On a(nother) personal note: today would have been my Opa's 100th birthday. He always said he wouldn't make it this far, but he came pretty close! Opa was a real wonder. He told the most fantastic stories, and the amazing thing about them was that they were all real! His pale blue eyes would light up and his laughter would fill the room (or the patio, because he was always outside, basking in the Spanish sunshine). I still miss him every day. I believe it was in my old blog that I told you a bit about him, but I was blogless at the time he died. He passed away on April 24th.

Short post, so sorry, lots on my mind and none of it involves stitching. Until next time, honeybuns!



Edited to add that the link to the Atelier Imaginaire freebie is not working, although the freebie is still there. Perhaps I can't link directly to the freebie. If you google alter echo atelier imaginaire, you should be directed to the freebie immediately. I'm doing the French version, but there's also an English version and a German one!

18 comments:

Kathy A. said...

Will watch out for that RR. I am going to tell DH that I am "Sweet and Patient one" and really annoy him with that. Your stitching is lovely. I do like your sampler and especially the color. You know you have my support always my dear. Hang in there.
Hugs to Pelle

Katrina said...

Woohoo, I am in the QSnaps, that's so exciting :-).

I am so sorry for all you and Pelle are going through. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Love the replacement sampler, it's gorgeous. (((((hugs)))))

Tanya said...

Loss of a loved one is hard on so many levels. I still miss my grandfather who died 3 months before Ben was born. Just can't seem to shake it. Some days are better than others but it's still there - real as day. Thinking of you.

Hey - that's an awesome sampler! I love the colors. So, how are the pumpkins? 'Bout time to harvest them soon? :o)

Tanya

staci said...

Your sampler is lovely :) I'm not fond of linen DMC...it's lovely but I found it such a pain to work with! And I can't wait to see your pincushion, I know I'll be envious, lol!!!

I'm sure your Opa is looking down fondly upon you, {{hugs}}

Wendy said...

Ooooh, such a pretty freebie and I really need another freebie pattern to print out!

How amazing to have an Opa who almost hit his 100th birthday. Its so wonderful to celebrate birthdays of those who are no longer physically here but still with us in spirit. Enjoy your memories!

Nancy said...

Beautiful stitched pieces you have shared.

I hope fond memories will make the sadness less for you.

mainely stitching said...

Ahem. Referring to oneself in the second and third person is generally considered ... odd. Don't lose yourself among all those other selves!

Hey, you finished those Fremme birds right up fast! They look great. :D As does your sampler - gorgeous colors!!!

Hazel said...

Ooh lovely freebie thanks for that. Do you need some help with the RR?? Perhaps one of us could help you out. Someone, I think it may have been Cheryl, asked for help with a rr and she got loads of offers. xx

Hazel said...

Oooop just to add, I can't get that freebie!!! How frustrating. Linkie not working. :-(
x

Annemiek said...

I love the red birds Annemarie, makes me wanna put together everything for my blue birds and stitch it again. I do feel though that you whipped it up a lot faster than I did my yellow birds. Can't beat those HF kits though, they're great.

Sally said...

Wow that piece is looking beautiful! Hard to believe it's a freebie.

Anonymous said...

When my rational me starts up I shove a cookie in her mouth ;)

I'm so sorry about what Pelle is going through, but he is so fortunate to have such a sturdy & loving mother!

Nice colors on that sampler-- much better that the F-word one LOL

Great finish on the birds; that fabric is *perfect* for finishing! And thank you again :)

Sharon said...

Pelle will be fine because he has you standing behind him and that will be what makes a world of difference to him and his future. I wish we could all shield our children from the hurts life hand us.

Lovely sampler-the colors are so pretty.

Sharon said...

PS:Forgot to say those birds are adorable-my kind of colors.

Stephanie said...

I haven't plucked up the courage (foolishness?) to do a neighbourhood yet, and your post may convince me that I am so far being wise :)

Your little Fremme bird design is very sweet - I pleased to see that your recent startitis has been accompanied by an equally serious bout of finishitis!

Here's to grandparents one and all whom we all miss terribly...

Von said...

Hugs to you and Pelle!

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to have found your new blog (I used to read your old one, and then it disappeared). Sounds like you have been going through a bad time, I hope things get less stressful for you. I love your framed pieces below, Ellen Birdseye is just lovely.

Michelle said...

I just love what you stitched for me...or what you've stitched for me so far. I just saw Kathy's post and everything is looking so beautiful. It most certainly can wing it's way back to you!