Several years ago - has it really been years? Yes, I think it has - Harmien, Vonna and I picked up the insane idea of doing a Village of Hawk Run Hollow SAL. I never progressed beyond blocks 5 and 6 (no surprise there). Vonna gave up quite soon after that (but picked it up again a while back. You go girl!). Harmien, with her usual self control and perseverance, managed to stitch a whole lot more. This is how our Villages looked before we started on Tuesday:
Four and a half, if not five hours worth of stitching went into this. The more perceptive of you may notice that Harmien nearly got an entire block done and that I managed some letters and some hay. I know there is an unofficial contest going on between stitchers about who is the slowest stitcher EVER, but, come on. Girls. Give over. I'm the winner, surely you can see that now.
I don't mind being a slow stitcher, but if a stranger to stitching would see Harmien and I on the couch together, they would surely be under the impression we were doing two entirely different things altogether. You see, watching Harmien stitch is like watching a Grand Slam tennis tournament (in the days that Monica Seles was still a player): wild gestures, grunts and the occasional moan, backhands, forehands, services and PACE. I tell you, I found myself ducking every once in a while to avoid being hit in the head.
Mind you, I'm not laughing at you, Harmien. When I smile when I sit next to you, I'm just enjoying philosophising about the different ways each stitcher has to tackle their work. Some stitchers build up a nice, steady pace and get lost in the repetitive, hypnotising rythm; others measure the width, breath, height and untwistedness of every stitch like a thing obsessed and take pleasure in that while also enjoying the sound of thread being pulled through fabric very slowly (that would be me). I'm sure there are more ways to enjoy your stitching. I must pay attention when we meet at Heidi's on May 2nd.
Anyway, progress on Noah's Stocking? Again, zilch. Good thing it's a guilt-free, stress-free SAL, or I'd be in serious trouble. Hey, at least I made progress on something by CHS!
Yours guilt freely,
Annemarie.
32 comments:
Any progress is progress. Speed is not an issue. This stitching is something we love.
Some of us are sure and steady and others love it with a wild abandon.
Stitching with good friends is a wonderful thing no matter how few stitches you actually get done.
Annemarie,
I really think I could beat you in the s l o w contest. Remember the tortoise! LOL I've got slow down pat now I just need to work on steady.
I hope your weekend is relaxing. Sending you a big Hug!
The best part of your stitching day was that you stitched with a friend. I'm doing that tomorrow with a few pals. Both of the pieces look GREAT! Maria S.
Any bit of stitching is great progress! One day you'll look at the piece and just sit down and finish it! What matters is that you had fun with a friend working on it!
Sounds like a great stitching day!
I love sushi and bet it was delicious!! That's so fun you and Harmien can stitch together:)
Beautiful progress on both your pieces!
Isn't it so fun to have someone to laugh with? Just thinking about that makes me smile.
Sorry, but I'm still the world's slowest stitcher. I think I have ADD.
I know that when Sandra, Chris and I meet up to stitch I am definitely the slowest stitcher on earth but hey I have a good time and so do they - making fun of me. No they don't really and we have a lovely time and I will never stitch as fast as they do but I get things done eventually mostly. I am going to start HOHRH soon as I get one more obligation out of the way. What a lovely day you had and you will have another one soon. Lots of Love Patti xxx
People have told me that I'm a fast stitcher. I don't know if I could take this as fact, because none of these peole are cross-stitchers themselves. I don't really keep track of my pace, because I always stitch alone. I did go to a knitting club meeting with my mother a few years ago. Of course I didn't knit, but did cross-stitch instead. I simply enjoy it more then knitting. They rated my mother as the fastest knitter, so maybe it's something genetic.
Totally enjoying the SAL by the way. Need to browse around and check out everyone else's progress.
There should be a VOHRH slow stitchers club...I have been stuck on block 6 for months, many months!
I do love the stocking that you are working on.
You gotta take your progress where you can get it.
Parts of your post don't sound too good, again...
But seems that at least you had some fun at Harmien's, which makes me hope there are better days ahead.
I am a medium slow quite silent stitcher. I don't think I would like to stitch next to another stitcher - it would disturb my pace and if I talked, it would be the end of it !
Kindest wishes, dear Annemarie -
V.
Guess being compared to Monica Seles beats being compared to a machine... ;o)
We had fun, thats all I care about!! Wanna come over to my place again... like... soon??!!!
I second what Marie said. And I'd join your slow stitcher's club immediately. And we could have many contests to see who the slowest stitcher, lol.
You must have had a wonderful get-together with Harmien. And another one at Heidi's is ahead. Enjoy!
I'm sorry I've been out of touch this week, but I'm really glad that Harmien hasn't been! Sounds like you guys enjoyed a fabulous day together. I love sushi. :D I'm laughing at your CHS progress at it makes me feel so much better about my own snail's pace style of stitching. :-)
I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead of you!
Every little bit of progress is good no matter how small:) And of course you get to stitch with Harmien which is a good thing:)
So you caed on the BBD! Lol! I keep telling myself I don't have time for another start but I may cave yet too!
I agree with what everybody's said--any progress is good progress! Your Village looks good! Those HRH pieces are so stitch intensive. Worth every stitch but a lot of work. Lucky you stitching with a friend, too! I have only stitched with a friend a few times in all the time I've been stitching, and I'm always secretly afraid that I'm actually doing some version of crocheting when I'm thinking I am stitching.
Needlework is supposed to be fun and relaxing, and as long as you enjoy it it doesn't matter how fast you are! Quality not quantity, right?
everybody knows that visiting a friend is the most slowing experience in stitchingland...
What a beautiful WIP! I still see sooo many things I really want to stitch one day.
hope this day was better for you and that each following day will be better and better
mmmm... you had me at sushi. I'm really craving some sushi lately! Oh your VoHRH are beautiful too! :)
Even if you only do a few stitches, its a progress. It will grow, believe me. I like your work and I hope you enjoy more of those stressless stitching days with Hermien.
Nice progress on your villages, glad you had a lovely time with Harmien
Oh hon, you always make me smile. I think you should write a book. At least your VOHRH is out and stitched on my SOHRH is still in the package with all the threads, the fabric ready and not a single stitch. Have a great week. I hope you and Pelle are doing well.
Your villages both look great! I'm getting ready to start block 9 too, it's so much fun seeing other Villages in progress.
I didn't give up....I just got distracted :)
I'm glad you and Harmien had a lovely weekend stitch in! You are not slow...look at your sidebar, lots of finishes there my dear!
I think you have both made great progress. Did you not know that lettering takes longer to do lol? Honest. ;)x
Well I think you both did great - I hope you keep stitching this Annemarie, it's such a great project and it's great fun to stitch.
Pleasure is the key Annemarie! We used to stand in Brugge and laugh at lacemaker's who do it for the money. You could physcially see they don't enjoy doing it. I say she who laughs loudest is the happiest stitcher. Hey, I win! LOL! But I will share my place with you. :-) I am looking forward to seeing you on Sunday. Oh yes, I must get that email out with driving instructions...
Anytime you want to escape, just yell. You are always welcome!
Hugs ~
Heidi
Such a nice way to spend some time stitching.
It is looking great..And I can see the progress!
Take care...groetjes uit Canada!
Having just returned from a few days away on a stitching retreat, I know that one day was just the tonic you needed to get through a hard time.
I am so glad you had such a good day with Harmien, I think you got a fair amount of stitching done !
Harmien must just be Miss Speedy Needles ;-) I can see the steam on the photo LOL
Take care and I hope things have looked up this week for you ?
Scoot over, there's room for two in the slowest stitcher ever category! Sounds like a great day, sorry the rest of the week was so rough.
Post a Comment