Okay. Turns out you’re all evil. Barring a few exceptions – kind people who comforted me with assertions about their own inability to knit – the majority of you urged me to hold on, to not give up, to try again, to follow this or that link for video instructions. What’s a girl to do? Well, this girl listened to the voices of evil (particularly Hazel’s) and started another Baktus scarf.You see, contrary to the impression I inadvertently gave you in my previous post, I can actually knit. I’m neither a knincompoop nor a knitwit. A couple of years ago I knitted a couple of scarves and even a blanket or two. What I meant when I said I wasn’t a knitter, was that knitting doesn’t come naturally to me. I can never find a rhythm, I can never really relax while knitting, I keep clenching and un-clenching, but I really can knit. A bit.
The conditions need to be just right, though, and they weren’t when I started that first miserable Baktus scarf. Let me explain. Knitting according to Annemarie:
1) Knitting needles need to be short (I never know what to do with those large things. I mean, where do you put the ends? They either end up tickling my armpits, or they disappear up my sleeves, making any sort of vital movement with the needles impossible). So: long knitting needles were substituted with short needles.
2) Knitting needles must be made of a warm-to-the-touch, natural material, i.e. wood. Or bamboo. Metal needles are cold and unpleasant. So, metal needles were substituted with bamboo needles.
3) Yarn must be made of something that feels and looks natural. Like something a sheep would wear. So, cheapo Dutch sock wool in the colour ‘Surf’ was substituted with a natural looking, slightly more expensive German sock wool called ‘Meilenweit’.
Behold my second attempt at the Baktus:
Progress is not impressive, but only due to the fact that I had to copy another one of Staci’s projects. What with Valentine around the corner and a deadline looming, I couldn’t help but succumb to this wonderful freebie by Primitive Betty’s:
And this, honeybuns, is truly my first start and finish of 2010.
Hang on, don’t go away yet! Remember the giveaway? We have a winner of the Goode Huswife chart Wife Into Thy Garden and her name is…………………
SU!
Aww, Randomiser couldn’t have picked a nicer person. Su and I have known each other since forever (well, at least before either one of us had a blog) and it's been quite a while since Su has received anything from me. Picture me jogging to the post office right away, Su!
Kielrain asked me a question in the comments about the second chart on the second row of the Goode Huswife picture. It is indeed out of print (as are all the charts in this book), and it’s called In Her House.
Have a lovely weekend, all. I intend to work, work and… knit!
Yours knittingly,
Annemarie.
31 comments:
Wow, wow, wow! I love your second Batkus attempt Annemarie, the colours are just beautiful! :) I think materials do make all the difference (hence my 3 afghan attempts!) but I can't agree with you on the wood/bamboo needles - I hate them. Kinda squeaky and uncomfortable to use - give me metal every time ;)
Your little freebie is so sweet too - I have that kitted up and ready to go during my February heart-stitching marathon that I have planned :)
Ha ha ha hawwwwww. (evil laugh). Yippee! Looks fab too as does the other finish. I have indeed finished my baktus and is now on my blog! Will be starting another shortly. Oh and I have succumbed today to yet more charts from Beth Twist (sale old inventory) hehehawhaw. xx
oooooooo woweeeee I've won, I've won - if I could smile without it hurting I would, but i'M REALLY SMILING ON THE INSIDE!!!
Thankyou Annemarie.
Love the knitting too - go girlfriend go!! Love the yarn too!
Ooooh, wat een schatje!! Houden, mens!!
De Baktus wordt harstikke goed! Leuke kleuren!
Well, I guess your lovely Baktus scarf finish, with its colorful wool and beautiful form, officially qualifies me as the only remaining non-knitter left in the entire universe. [sigh] But that's OK. I have untold number of cross stitch projects with which to console myself.
Congrats to Su! Lucky her!! (Perhaps I should have offered the randomizer a bribe?)
Yes, you can! I haven't come by this last week and I missed out on a lot of frustration... but with the first finish and a great scarf to be the story sounds different.
See? You knew you could! It looks lovely and we look forward to many more. I'm confused as to which baktus pattern you were all using?
You are such a tease An!!! I love your Baktus, the colors are lovely and the knitting couldn't be more beautiful :) The right yarn and the right needles can make ALL the difference. I knit with both metal and wood needles, but it all depends on the project and the yarn.
Love your Valentine finish, it's sweet as can be. And congrats to Su, I agree, the randomizer couldn't have picked a nicer winner :)
What beautiful colors you chose. I can't wait to see the finish, it looks lovely. Whether it's natural to you or not, you're doing a great job :)
That's lovely! You've inspired me to make one of these. I know what you mean about the long needles though. As I have a strange knitting action as I hold the needles like a spoon and drop the right-hand needle to wrap the wool round, I tuck it into my waistband or belt to hold it for me.
Yes, you sure can knit! I like the colour you've chosen. I also agree with you that the needles must not be metal. My few pair are all bamboo. It just occurred to me to wonder what "bamboo" is in Dutch. *scratches head* maybe I'll mosey on and look that up.
Beautiful Valentine's finish; I need to scoot along on the valentine I'm making for myself if I want to enjoy it at all before the holiday!
Congrats on your Baktus scarf. It looks great. Love the colors you chose.
I don't understand much of the knitting lingo but you seem to have it down pat.
Don't work to hard and keep those knitting needles smoking!!!
Beautiful start on your Batkus! Yay! Love your Prim Valentine finish as well!
Lovely colors in your scarf! Sure wish I was a knitter!
Congrats to Su!
Wow, beautiful scarve! Well done on not giving up. Does that mean you're now on the evil side? ;-)
Cute Valentine finish!
You have had me laughing about your knitting, I only like bamboo / natural needles too and nice wool. The knitting skill does not come 'naturally' to me either even though like you I can 'knit' (in a fashion)
Anyway love the scarf and colours, plus your Valentine finish and I wanted to say how nice your pictures are for this posting, love them! I have noticed a big change in your photo skills , they are very arty and pretty now :-))
Take care An and have a nice weekend
If you can stand it, for plain knitting and to get the rythmn try listening to march music. That 4 4 time really works. Maria S.
Your scarf looks great! Love the colours.
Love the new scarf start!! Gorgeous colors. And that little Valentine freebie is fabulous - off to grab it!
Annemarie, your scarf looks fantastic! Love it! Your Valentine finish is lovely!
Your scarf looks wonderful Annmarie. I really like the colors of it! And I like the Valentines freebie too - think I'll have to go have a look at that. You know, I really did think that you were just learning to knit, but obviously you've gone far beyond learning.
Hey Annemarie, as lovely as your knitting looks, I'd say stick with stitching. You have to admit, those stitching needles are a good bit shorter than even the shortest knitting needles :0.
Good on you for persevering with your knitting - my Mum still has half-finished cardies etc that I started and never finished ... I have never managed to find enjoyment in knitting, and now leave it to those who are much more talented and patient than I, and stick to my stitching :P I look forward to seeing your scarf all finished up :)
Drooled all over Niek's keyboard looking at your scrumptious knitting. Dang, where are those paper towels to mop up this mess?
I love the Baktus, the Meilenweit looks great, and you CAN knit - you had me fooled before!
I admire your perseverance! Great scarf! And lovely work on the freebie.
I can use either long or short knitting needles, but the short ones are unknown here in Italy (my British mum uses them) and everyone goes "how on earth do you manage to knit with *those*????" when either she or I appear in public with them.
You seem to have been successfully seduced by the knitting bug, lol. And the result looks very impressive. I have seen so many Bacti on various blogs, there seems to be a Bactus bug as well, but no wonder, it's such a lovely scarf. I'm still struggling against the knitting bug but I slowly get the feeling that I will be a loser when I continue visiting all the stitching knitters' blogs, lol.
Well done with the knitting, I'm impressed.
Love your Valentines finish. I have had the same design downloaded and ready to go for a week now, when I actually manage to find a few spare miniutes I will start stitching it. I had plans to turn it into a bookmark for my other half, not sure it will happen now.
Your scarf is beautiful. I am definitely finishing mine too.
Beautiful start to your scarf. I knew you could do it!! :) You are right though the right yarn makes such a difference! I love your little Valentine's finish. It's so sweet! ;)
Beauteous knitting, how could it be evil?? You should be led astray more often. And what a lovely Val-day finish, just found this one myself.
Post a Comment