Friday, 8 April 2011

Toldja!

Remember I felt something crawling up my body? It was the stitching bug!!! I'm sure some of you will be vastly happy to see some stitching coming from me - especially you, Kathy, who seems to think that all her stitching friends have been abducted by aliens, only to be replaced by lookalikes who pretend to be stitchers, but are in actual fact knitters and hookers crocheters. Not so, dear lady. Not me. I'm a stitcher and proud of it! The sampler shown above is this one (you've seen it before, but just as a reminder):

The Scarlet Letter chart comes with two possible texts to go on the sampler. One is the original 'This little piece my friends may have/When I am dead and in my grave/When greedy worms shall feed on me/My name hereunder you may see' that Mary Hart used in her sampler. An alternative for the 'more squeamish' among us stitchers is also provided: 'I'll keep thee safe from cat and cur/No manner o' harm shall come to thee/Yea, I will be thy succourer/My bosom shall thy cabin be'. Two things about these texts: first, I am not squeamish. In fact, I love to stitch me a good graveyard and images of woe and misery, but to stitch a lovely, pink and cuddly cat and then to add a text that speaks of death and worms does not make a whole lot of sense to me. So, the original went out the window. The alternative provided is a poem by John Bunyan, but let's face it, it's not exactly a kind bit about a cat either, is it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the narrator portrays cats (and curs) as dangerous beasts that need to be kept at bay. Not a good alternative, in my humble opinion. So I went and looked for something else and found this: 'Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of'. Sir Walter Scott.


And just to show you that Sir Walter got it right, here's some photographic proof

Enjoy your weekend!

Yours... Well. Just yours,

Annemarie.

24 comments:

Margaret said...

I like the verse you chose much better! And it's so true too! This is a neat sampler, I must say. I'm quite tempted by it! I love the pics of your cats too. Somehow they look like they have big ears!

Anna van Schurman said...

Are they sitting on a door? Indeed what are they thinking is a good sentiment for the sampler! ("Curs" are easy: squirrel! Food! Belly rub! Smell that!)

Anonymous said...

Haah, dat koppie van Pipien!!! Mysterious, indeed... Zie je nou, Kathy, we kunnen het nog wel!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I like your verse a whole lot better! Your cats are hanging out on top of the door? Seems like a really high jump!

Catherine said...

What a great saying to use for your sampler! I have to admit - the first kitty pic is intimidating. He/She looks like they are attempting some sort of mind control! :)

Poppypatchwork said...

Top of the door cats, are they a new breed, mine can't climb!!

Susan said...

Definitely prefer your saying. I hadn't seen that chart before and may just have to make a trip to In Stitches to find it. You have very talented cats. I've not seen the "hide on top of the door" trick before.

marylin said...

C4est absolument très joli
marylin France

Sally said...

I like your saying! Nice start you've made.

Melissa said...

You've put a glint in my eye with this new (to me) sampler. I like the verse you chose. (I just changed the verse with what I am stitching too.)

The kitties look great there on top of the door! And Pipien does look spooky there in the photo by his good self!

Michelle said...

Hurrah for the stitching bug! And I like your verse a lot. Good (and appropriate) choice!

Jennifer said...

The poem you chose is purrr-fect. Sorry, couldn't resist putting that in there. Love the kitty photos!

Beth said...

As a "cat-fan" myself - I much prefer the bit of poetry you found! Looks like it's going to be a wonderful piece - I'm sure that Pelle and Pantoef will give it "Two Paws Up"!

Deb said...

I like your verse better and I love your start on it.

And love that cat picture. It's amazing that they can jump that high, isn't it??

Andrea said...

Oh so happy to see you post!! I was just looking at this sampler the other day on the SL website and now here it is on your blog!
I love your verse, much better than the others!
Can't wait to watch your progress :)

Hugs!

Kathy A. said...

Whew, I was very worried there for a bit. At least, there is one faithful friend who still stitches.
Very handsome new stitch.
I just refuse to be bitten by the knitting/crocheting bug!!!
Love the fur babies. They are quite the pair.

Von said...

My goodness, what climbers your cats are!! My guy has never gone to those heights.

Glad to see you're giving your embroidery needles a bit of your attention! :D

barbara said...

Door-top sitters! Love it! My Dan liked to get as high as possible like that. Our kittens are not so into heights, but tonight I shall set them loose on the mice for the first time. Is there a sampler verse about mouse-catching cats???

LOVELY stitching. I'm so glad you let the stitchy bug out!

Giovanna said...

Great choice of verse - but I hope you'll be able to use the original too sometime: I love it! But I agree it does not fit the sampler very well. Love the pictures of the poesjes :-)

Berit said...

Great choice on the verse--love the stitching and Of Course Cat photos! :D

Karoline said...

Great choice of verse for the sampler. Love the photo of the kitties on top of the door

Anonymous said...

Your verse is much better than the others!

I love your cat photos, especially on top of the door - don't they love to climb? We had kittens at home who use to climb up the velvet curtains in the dining room, and sit up there yowling when they couldn't figure out how to get back down again.

Jeanne said...

I like the changes you made and it's so perfect for you and your furry friends. Great project!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Hi! We saw you were our newest follower at Curlz and Swirlz, so we had to come and visit and imagine our happiness when we saw Pantoef and Pippin 'hangin' out on top of a door...just like us! Well, not Disco, he's ahem too 'large'...